Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Arrgghh! etc

My driving is driving me crazy. I feel like a particularly slow student who can never understand a particular formula.

I can drive forward fine, I am actually beginning to enjoy our early morning rides. But I've been trying to learn how to back and park, and I am doing everything wrong! I have a major directional problem. I can never remember right and left. I have to actually think 'right hand, left hand' whenever a patient tells me he has a lump on his right neck, because I'd otherwise start feeling his left neck for the lump. And when I give directions to autorickshaw/taxi drivers, I always tell them the wrong side. Now when I try to reverse, I go in the opposite direction, always! It's driving me mad! I feel like giving up.

My other recent problem is that I forget things. I would get up to do something and find that I have already done it. I usually don't lose things, I am usually meticulous with where I put stuff so I pride myself in not being one of those harebrained ladies. But age is catching up with me and fast.

Lately I find myself hunting high and low for things I know I kept somewhere. Most of the times, I'd find it neatly tucked away. A neighbour asked to borrow our ration card today, and that made me discover I have no idea where the heck it is. I'll hunt some more, and when I don't find it, H will tell me off a little. And I'll go apply for a duplicate, and once I get the copy, I'll probably find the original safely filed away somewhere. I just know I'm doomed for a miserable old age.

8 comments:

Calliopia said...

Don't give up, dear diary! Slow and steady wins the you know what. I once took driving lessons too but the reversing just scared the shite out of me so I gave up, somewhat to my regret. My sister also has a left/right problem especially when it's in Mizo. She slaps her arms and goes ding/vei lol. And I think memory lapses isn't so much an age thing as a having so much on your mind, you can't be expected to remember every little detail thing.

diary said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Calliopia. Sometimes I think there are people who can drive, and people like me who'll always have to be driven around :P

Your sister sounds like me, or I sound like your sister. lol. And about not trying to be able to remember everything, you're probably right. If a guy has to keep track of the amount of things we womenfolk do, the world would be chaos.

Mizohican said...

Sometimes don't you just feel like give your ration card a miss call from your mobile phone to know where it is? :D Happens to me so many times... my keys, the remote control, office files, whenever I cant find them, I have this immense urge wishing I could give it a miss call and I will find it immediately from their "ring". :)

diary said...

Exactly Kim, I get the same urge. It's frustrating not knowing where something is.

avena said...

khalh tawp mai rawh...a chhe lo vang ... :)) she used to drive , and i am proud of it..i know you can do much better ............!

diary said...

Aven, nia, in nu pawh ka ngaisang sawt mai. Hma lam pan ai hian hnung tawlh hi a lo harsa zawk a nih hi! I training chu a nuam zel maw? Rawn thau haw luah ang e aw.

Carol-Sutarooni said...

I am 58 years old and only learned some left and right rules a few years ago. One is look at your left hand and the thumb and forefinger make an L. For locking a door, "lefty loosy, righty tighty".

I know about when I put things away for safety and can't find again.

I found you at random on blogger and I also have SAD. I live in the north of the USA in Minnesota and winter lasts a long, long time, early nights and cold. This year I tried the blue lights. Not sure whether it helped or not.

Be well,
Carol

diary said...

Carol, it's nice to know there are other people who have problems with their rights and lefts too. Sorry to hear about your SAD syndrome, I guess I don't really have it, so I apologize for sounding slightly irreverent about the syndrome. Hope you get better soon. And thanks for visiting