Friday, June 18, 2010

The SAD syndrome


I hate the rain. I don’t mind the occasional drizzle that cools the earth and cleanses the mind. But the constant downpour of wet, cold rain can make anyone develop some syndrome or the other.

When we were kids, rain never bothered me. It meant mostly splashing in puddles, secretly blocking the water drain on the rooftop and my brother and me having water fights. For mom, it meant wet kids, wet clothes, muddy floors. Now that I am old, with my innate practicality in full bloom, it means canceled outings, wet laundry, wet floors and wet everything. 

Nothing can persuade me to get out in this weather. I would like to spend my days reading, or watching the TV or browsing the internet. I get out to work only because I have to. Going to church, to friends or families houses are way down on my list right now. For one, there’s a cousin who just delivered her first baby, and it nags me day and night to go see the little kiddo and the mother. But I keep putting it off because of the rain. The joys of hunting at secondhand markets, the pleasures of bargain sales are dampened by the incessant rain. Nothing tempts, except hot tea and the cozy bed.

God knows that rain is a blessing. Most obviously for the farmers, and even for the whiners like me. It makes me feel slightly guilty that I complain so much about something that is so necessary for  life. And if it was sunny for days on end, I'd probably be one with the worst heat-stroke. But then again, the wet-cold state of affairs does do something to me. It makes me irritable, melancholic and a little crazy. Some smart alec went and described a condition - Seasonal Affective Disorder, aptly SAD for short. This is probably not even a proper syndrome, more likely just a manifestation of a worse mood in moody people brought on by bad weather. But it does make one feel better. 'Oh, there's such a syndrome that describes my symptoms exactly. I'm not just grumpy, I actually have a syndrome!'.And you are no longer a psychotic going around the bend, but just another poor old sod with a fancy syndrome.

6 comments:

Calliopia said...

The rain this year has been frightening in its volume. With my newly sensitized ear especially, when it beats down the tin roof of our inchung, it gets quite terrifying. I used to hate the rain too, then briefly fell in love with it when I found rain photographing could be so incredibly beautiful. But now that I have this expensive lens which I daren't bring out in the rain in case moisture gets inside, I've got back to finding it a big irritant.

diary said...

Hanging out laundry, running to get them in 2-3 times a day is good exercise, but it sure isn't fun. I'm thinking of investing in some sort of clothes dryer. I even burnt one of H's shirt recently over the heater. Rain does hamper all of us I guess, even though I don't really have your photography problems :) If it brings down the price of vegetables in the market, it would be some consolation.

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

I am with you one hundred and ten percent. Though rain is much welcome during the hot summer days, too much of it can drive you mad and frustrated. It even makes me claustrophobic, you know, makes me feel like I am stuck between walls of water.

diary said...

Yes, Aduh, too much of a good thing and all that. The best weather for me is winter, atleast you can put on piles of clothes and sit by the heater.

^7^ said...

ruahtui tlem na a awm thang tih tak ah kei ruahsur hi a nuamka ti asin....!!

diary said...

7, a tlemna hmun a piangah hian thil chu a hlu a lawm. A tam lai hian kan ning vel mai mai a ni e tiraw.

Word verification dah hnuah pawh spam la awm tho mawle!