Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chick flicks

I love movies that make you cry. It is the only masochistic side of me, because anything else that causes pain is abhorrent to me. But put me alone in a dimly lit room, and play a movie that will squeeze my tear ducts dry, and I will be happily wiping my tears away.

We all have so many disappointments in life, inconveniences and little things not going your way. But when you're all grown up, you cannot cry at the minor stuff anymore. So crying at the heartaches and misfortunes of imaginary (or sometimes real) people is a soul cleanser for me.

'My sister's keeper' is a wonderful story about a sick teenage girl, and how she and her family members all respond to her sickness. All so believable performed and heart-wrenchingly told. I loved the little romance she experienced while dying of a terminal disease and all.

'P.S. I love you' is tenderly hopeful, in the terrible scenario of loving someone you love. I've been blessed with not losing a dear one, yet! And just the mere imagination of doing so scares me to death. I've always wanted to die before I lose anyone I love, because I am too cowardly to deal with the pain of losing someone you love. The finally of death and their consequent absence is way too terrible to contemplate.

"The lovely bones" is also beautifully made. The father's anguish and helplessness is something anyone can empathise with, especially if you are a parent. The surreal quality of the entire film, the hopeful desire to see the evil neighbour found out and arrested kept me entranced through the movie. I would only have arranged a more violent end for the bad man than the one he had.

Other tear-jerkers are 'Stepmom', 'Love story', 'Switched at birth', and the rest can't come to mind at present. If you haven't seen these movies, you should go see them. It's therapeutic to have puffy, swollen eyes at someone else's expense.

7 comments:

benjamin rualthanzauva said...

I recommend The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

Since the past few years, I watch a movie almost every night. But sadly haven't covered half of IMDb's top 250, my most favored so far being 12 Angry Men.

Last year, I completed the entire 007's.

In May I did a couple of Afred Hitchcock's mostly from IMDb's top 250.

Sometimes, I write a horrible one para review. The latest - http://short.posterous.com/edge-of-darkness-2010-44

I can't stick to any serial. The only I do can was MacGyver. I finish all 7 seasons in 6 months.

Between Christmas and New Year of last year, me and bro did movie marathon everyday!! When all you have to do in day is watch movies, it's not easy to do that many.

I think my record no. of movies in a day is 6 movies 0900-0000 midnight last Monday :-)

Tonight: Youth Revolt (2009)

diary said...

You sound like a real movie buff, Ben! I am downloading the Memory keeper's daughter as I type. I haven't seen 12 angry men either, will try to see that too. I don't really like serials that much either, except the light-hearted ones like Friends and Sex & the city. Watching movies/serials for hours and hours at a stretch might numb the brain a little I bet :) Please give me more movie suggestions!

ku2 said...

Hi, hopped from Caliopia's blog and I saw "P.S. I love you" and I couldnt resist commenting :)The movie almost did me in. Now I find myself obsessed with Ireland.
Its almost unfair that they had to make a movie like this, how can ordinary men be expected to live upto Gerry? And then there's um..that hunky guy who played Gerry's childhood friend, the guy with the warmest, kindest eyes... I could just go on and on.

I love chick flicks. I love the fact that they give me such a good cry and yet make me feel warm and fuzzy inside too. Besides the two you mentioned, "Stepmom" is another tear-jerker.

ku2 said...

haha, sorry, didnt see that little para at the end :D
Stepmom mentioned :)

Calliopia said...

Objection, dear diary, you said chick flicks but then went on to write all about tearjerkers. C'mon, not all chick flicks are heartwrenchers! And my absofreakinglutely favourite chick flick is Pretty Woman. What a fabulously happy movie that was. I don't watch many movies any more and the only one I've seen from your list is The Lovely Bones. Loved the innocence of the little girl. Me I don't actually bawl at sad movies btw, I just end up with a rather manly heavy-hearted sadness.

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

I have seen loads of chick flicks,and liked them all. Have you seen "All about Steve" It's really wonderful, my current favourite, have seen it at least thrice (well of course Bradley Cooper was in it so...) My Best Friend's Wedding, The Devil Wears Prada,Bridget Jones's Diary,Clueless, Legally Blonde, In her Shoes, yeah of course Pretty Woman, Sleepless in Seattle, Sex and the City, Love Actually, PS I Love You...and so on. Haven't seen The Lovely Bones yet, My Sister's Keeper was okay, Cameron Diaz as a mother wasn't very convincing, I like her in goofy roles.

I think I will also start watching IMDb's top 250. I went through the list and though I've seen many of them there are still so many I'm yet to see.

diary said...

Kuku, my sentiments exactly. Gerrard Butler's brief appearances were enough for me to develop a huge crush on him..despite me being a mother and all! And about 'Stepmom', to err is human:)

Calliopia, I guess chick flicks is a misnomer here. I thought since 'macho' men like H won't watch any of these movies I mentioned it was safe to call them chick flicks.lol. I loved 'Pretty woman' too. I actually saw the whole movie only a few years back. I don't know how I missed it all those years, but it was worth the wait. Good for you that you don't cry, I am a sop, I cry at any movie that has a hint of sadness in it :P

Aduh, I'm going download 'All about Steve'. I usually end up downloading terrible movies on my own, so suggestions are very welcome. I've seen most of the movies you mentioned. And 'the memory keeper's daughter' is also a great movie to watch.