Monday, July 19, 2010

Homemaker extraordinaire :)

I spent last weekend trying to develop my homemaking skills. Somebody introduced me to homemade soya mayonnaise and I really loved the taste. So I looked up the recipe on the www and it turned out pretty simple to make.

I. Making the soya milk :
  • Bought 1 kg of soya seeds from the market. They were mixed with little stones and other debris, so required a good cleaning.
  • Soaked a little less than half kg overnight in water. This amount proved to be way too much, a quater kg (250gm) would be more appropriate for personal use.
  • Next day, I blended the soya beans with thrice the volume of water in a blender. Since my mixie jar is small, I had to do it in several batches.
  • I strained the whole slurry through a muslin (read cotton) cloth and boiled the milk for around 10 minutes.
  • I got around 2 litres of soya milk.
II. Making the soya mayonnaise: 
  You need:
  1.   1 cup of soya milk
  2.   Half a tsp of salt
  3. 1 tsp of lime juice
  4. 1/4th tsp black pepper powder
  5. 2 egg yolks (optional)
  6. 1 cup of vegetable oil.
The procedure is simple. Blend 1-5 in a mixer. Add the vegetable oil a few drops at a time and blend till the whole cup is added to the mixture. Adding the oil slowly seems to be the most important part. If you add it too fast, the oil tends to float. I got 2 jars and a half from 2 cups of soy milk. Taste great!! Just like store bought mayonnaise, but better than the Funfood brand. Only problem is you can keep it only for a week or so.




I also made these moist chocolate cakes. I think they taste better than they look :P




And some pictures of Ruatfeli

With her new umbrella...

9 comments:

Calliopia said...

Wow, you've been one busy homemaker. Must try out your recipe sometime. Sounds easy enough. And I'm very interested in the soya milk because I hear it has plenty of natural estrogen. Your cakes look rich and yummy! And the first picture of Ruatfeli is just adorable. Love that spikey hair LOL!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
avena said...

Ruatfeli sam chu Mister T copy deuh em ni a hehehe.....ka rawn haw hun ah hei aia tui a siam dan trick pakhat ka hrilh belh leh ang che :D

diary said...

I have my moments, Calliopia, which are rare enough.lol. And I was remembering you when I was making the soya milk. You need to either add vanilla essence or some malted powder otherwise it tastes really bland! Spikey hair suits Ruatfeli, doesn't it? BTW, she can now stand on her own and can take really tiny baby steps :D

diary said...

Siamthiam i nei ve em ni, Aven? :) In nu a rawn chhuk chuan nuam inti lutuk ang a in rawn haw theih pawh ka ring lo. lol

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
OpaHmar said...

Soya has estrogenic effect, whileas its good for the ladies especially after the eggs run out, too much of it can cause gynaecomastia in men (man boobs hehe)

Choc cake looks yumm

Ruatfeli is adorable :)

diary said...

Hi OP, thanks for visiting. Heard bacteria are growing like weed in PH since you've joined :)

It would be nice if soya caused boobs to get bigger in women too! No one would need costly implants :D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.