Saturday, September 22, 2007

Gerard Kelly- poet

I know very little of his work.. I just read one book of his "Rebel without Applause", but I thought he was rather fantastic.Here's one of his:




Cocktail Conversation


If I pretend


That you're noble,


Will you agree


That I am kind?


If I act as if


I'm talking about you


But talk about me,


Would you mind?


If I take up your bait


About a fascinating job


And don't challenge what you do,


Will you fall for my line


About noisy colored neighbours


And say


That you'd have moved too?


Will you confirm


All my convictions


If I don't notice


Your assumptions are absurd?


If so


We can talk like this for hours


Without meaning


A single word.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Stumbled upon your blog post via a Google Search Alert for "Gerard Kelly". I am a huge fan of Gerard's. For further content from him see his blog, poems and talks from his church in Amsterdam. Enjoy.

diary said...

Hi Simon, thanks for dropping in and for the links, especially the poems. I read the first few ones, will read more at leisure. Come by again :)