Monday, January 28, 2013

Mother-daughter moments

Our Director tells me one day, "You have to go to Delhi. Make a presentation in front of top doctors in India and  convince them to give us some crore of rupees for a project. They'll going to chew you to bits, argue your every point with better informed and scientific counter-answers, and maybe have you for dinner. When you come back, you may need to see a therapist. By the way, the meeting is next week".

Okay, not exactly in those words, but that's what the meeting implies. Especially in this time frame :(

For moral support, I request my mother to please accompany me, and promised her one day of shopping. She agreed. Incidentally, the day of our flight was the day her sister and family were going to Dubai for an all-expense paid trip, via Kolkata.

So she tells me to book the tickets online. Myntra has tickets to Delhi, via Guwahati, reaching Delhi at 6 pm. Cost of ticket Rs 9000/-. Meanwhile the only tickets via Kolkata reach at 9 pm, and the price is Rs 11000/-

My irrational mother wants me  to get the ones stopping at Kolkata. The  stubborn me refuses.

One- The tickets are cheaper.
Two- We get to reach Delhi at 6 pm. Meaning we can have a reasonable dinner and a nice sleep.
Three-  We can meet my aunt and family everyday in Aizawl. Why pay more/waste time just for a few hours at an airport?

Mother's only rationale is that it would be nice to wait with my aunt in the airport. Minor cold war ensues. Mother huffs, 'Fine, I won't come along then!'. Stubborn me, 'Yes! Don't'. Men intervene. Aunt's flight is at 5 pm, we won't be at the same airport at the same time. So I win.

The question is, how can a dreamy, sentimental person like my mother have a practical, hard-headed, hard-hearted daughter like me?

The answer lies in the stars. She's a Piscean, and although she never read Linda Goodman's books, she conforms to her sunsign's directions and proves to be a little romantic, flamboyant and dreamy. While I, the Capricorn, am also proving how right sun signs can get.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Calliopia said...

Haha what a good read. Though when I first saw the title I thought it was going to be about you and Feli. I strongly suspect that you and her are in for a lot of mother-daughter head bangin' moments in the future (and I'm not even a gypsy reading this via a crystal ball :p). With your own mum, maybe as people get older, they just get softer and more emotional, you know... Btw how on earth do you get a all-expense paid family foreign trip? I'm all ears.
Oh, and what joy, what bliss, you have a blog spammer up there :D

diary said...

This post was about my mother and me, we have a love-frequent fights relationship :P Since I'm the only daughter, we are rather close, I guess that's why we fight a lot too!

I'm sure you're going to be right about Feli and me. I'm the control-freak and if she turns out to be 'I-won't-be-controlled' freak, then, yep..I can definitely look forward to lots of head-banging moments :)

My aunt and family own a hardware store. They get these all-expense paid trips all the time. I guess it's their reward for waking up at the crack of dawn and dealing with shipments in the middle of the night:)

Spammers..if they see a flicker of activity, they spam :)

mangbuhril said...

good post,was going thru... the Myntra u mentioned, is it the myntra.com or some other sites

diary said...

Hello Mang, nice of you to drop in. And I meant to type makemytrip. LOL. I'm good at these typos, if they start with the same letter, I'm a goner :)