Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Familiar faces

I went to a friend's wedding with some friends recently, and there was this guy who looked extremely familiar. I asked my friend who he was, and she said he does look really familiar, but she couldn't place him either.


So we racked our brains, maybe he worked at where we worked. Maybe he studied where we studied. Naah. But he looked so familiar. If we didn't say 'Hi', he might probably be offended. Could he be a relative?

And the answer finally struck my friend. He was a newsreader on one of the local channels. Thank heavens she remembered before we went and blabbered at him. I wonder if he ever gets total strangers talking to him familiarly.


The pleasure of being cheap

A neighbour sold me these shoes at Rs 200 a pair. I fell in love with the price.

It seems like a minor achievement to find wearable shoes at these prices when shoes cost Rs 1000 upwards at the Millennium centre. At the workplace, I learnt you can get them for Rs 150 at the market :) But I still think I got them at a bargain. I know they're going to be worn out in a hurry, but they satisfy the thrifty Girl Guide spirit in me.

With everything being so darn expensive in Aizawl, it's fun to buy anything at a bargain. It's as though you were outwitting the enemy. You could get yards of cloth at the secondhand market, get them stitched at a local tailor, and have instant 'designer' clothes, which nobody else will have.

I can never bring myself to buy a blouse at 1800/- which everyone is wearing anyway. You can never have the most expensive shoes, or the most beautiful clothes, someone will beat you to it anyway. It's better (or atleast I think so) to be presentably turned-out and save your money for more concrete things...whatever those are!

7 comments:

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

Ah yes the old where-have-I-seen-you-before dilemma, happens with me all the time. Sometimes people I supposedly knew would talk to me and be all friendly and stuff and I would be racking my brains trying to place who exactly they are how I knew them.

Beautiful shoes, I love the prices! I'm with you completely, no matter how expensive you dress you will always find people who are willing to waste more money on clothes. 1800 for a blouse! Lord help us all!!

Mizohican said...

Thats what my friends and I did when I came home recently - Park our cars at Millennium and then go shop at Bazaar below and not in Millenium. lolz.

diary said...

@Aduhi, I'm terrible with faces and names. It probably runs in my family. Even when I really try, something perverse in me makes me blurt out the wrong name. Extremely embarrassing! About the prices, people still buy these stuff without blinking. Guess we have different priorities.

@Illusionaire, that's a smart thing to do. Last year, before Christmas, a friend bought a pair of shoes for Rs 800 from the Mill Centre, and we later saw the exact same pair at the foreign bazaar for Rs 400. The joke was definitely on her :)

Calliopia said...

Hey, nice shoes. Great bargain too though I prefer a bit of heels on my footsies. True, Aizawl's wildly expensive but you have to keep its geographical location in mind. With only road and air ways to get commodities in, you can hardly expect prices like those in the plains. Perhaps when railways makes inroads here, we can stretch a buck a little more.

Your familiar faces story reminds me of a neighbour's friend. The guy apparently met this girl on the street and chatted to her, doing the usual How are you, what are you doing now spiel to which she responded affably enough and it was only after she was long gone that he realised she was no acquaintance of his but an actress in one of those rather forgettable Mizo movies. Haha.

diary said...

I would love to wear heels more too, Calliopia, but flats are best for flat-footed people like me :( What you're saying about the transport cost is true, it's just hard to get used to it after coming back from vairam. I get quite ticked off when I get charged more than the MRP on other stuff too. But I'm sloowwly getting used to it.

Your story is exactly what would have happened to us if my friend hadn't recollected just in time. Saved us quite an embarrassment. heheh

avena said...

Engtin maw i hmel i tih blur dan chu pic ah khian :D

diary said...

I lo kal hunah tutorial ka lo pe ang che. Chutia hrilh mai a hre thiam chi i ni lo. lol