Monday, August 20, 2007

Dear Diary

Dear diary, what is wrong with me?
Cause I'm fine between the lines.
Be not afraid, help is on its way
A sentence suspended in air way over there
Dear diary, what else could it be?
As nightshade descends like a veil under the sail of my heart
Be still don't stop until the end.

Melancholy lines of Travis, sung in their beautiful melancholy way. I like the way the sentences are written, in a vague helpless kind of way. Not their most memorable song but I loved it nonetheless.

I used to keep diaries before, frantically noting down stupid emotions on handmade papers :) It was kind of nice to exaggerate feelings and events in your own personal novel. Even if not much ever happens, it makes for a good reading later on. I remember in school though, I had to pay my brother everyday to keep my secrets. Those little heartshaped locks did not offer much protection against naughty little boys.

I loved reading as a kid, and I was quite delusional for a while that I could be a writer too. (I was also once delusional that I could sing, but my dad rid me of the notion before I tried it in public). Even after being told quite clearly by two palm readers that I don't have an artistic bone in my body, I continued to churn out so called poems, they mostly had no rhyme or reason. Thank God I grew out of it.

Anyway, after undergraduate days, with all the shifting around, it became kind of difficult deciding which diaries to throw and which ones to keep. And getting rid of a diary meant shredding whole lots of pages manually, and disposing of the bits in godforsaken places. On retrospect, I think I stopped keeping diaries when things actually started happening. When my life was oh-so-boring, I guess I compensated by making my diaries more interesting. But diaries are still a girl's best friend, where you can write about your deepest feelings and thoughts, because thoughts are fleeting sometimes and you forget, and the moment is forever lost.

1 comment:

Calliopia said...

I think you write poems beautifully. Look forward to reading them here :)