Thursday, October 9, 2008

JOBS

It's raining jobs in Mizoram. One might say it's the election windfall. Anywhichway, this is when your political prowess and your knowledge comes in. Not your knowledge of your subject, but WHO you know.

Recently, the government took 66 contract doctors as Medical Officers through 3f. Now 3F was a new word for most of us. It is actually a regulation by which the govt, citing the people's welfare, can give jobs while bypassing the MPSC, so that nobody has to write boring exams or go through sweaty interviews. These 66 people's only reason for being given jobs was that they were contract doctors, no matter if you were not a contract doctor because you were slogging away preparing for a PG degree, or for an entrance exam, or working as a missionary in Timbuktu. They were simply picked up on the basis of how long they worked as contract doctors. These officers are then officially on the MPSC panel list and will be almost 100% guaranteed permanent jobs. When the list did come out, it was based on their seniority, but their place of posting, ofcourse depended again, on who they knew.

Now I know I bored everyone with my sad tale of how I hate exams and all, but since everybody who was not a contract doctor was denied the chance of EVER being on the 3F list, it kind of irked me. I craved to give exams, to be given atleast a chance. I remember how my friends from Sikkim, Meghalaya etc all rushed home from Delhi to give exams, interviews, whenever a handful of government jobs were being given in their states. I was kind of hoping for the same thing, that postgraduation degrees would count, etc. But here in Mizoram, when 66 jobs were being handed out, even people in Aizawl were exempted, forget the Mizo docs in other parts of India and the world.

Anyhow, after that, relatives ran helter skelter, trying to put a good word for me here and there. My dad, for one, is a staunch disapprover of favours, but I've come to finally realise that in this world, atleast in Mizoram, it's not what you know, but who you know. It's just sad that all of us have to conform to the unwritten rule in the end :( I'm just hoping the MPSC is made of members of Iron and steel etc, and that they'll demand exams, otherwise, it's goombye to a permanent job for me, and many others.

8 comments:

Aduhi Chawngthu said...

Oh how many times have I heard this tale!! It is soo soo pathetic and infuriating, isnt it? One of my relatives, a perpetual job-seeker, has told me a thousand times about how pointless and futile it is to apply for a job out there unless you're related to some higher-ups. The exams are a farce, the interviews a mockery (sometimes all they ask, it seems, is your biodata and nothing about the relevant subject)and skills don't matter. Doesn't matter if you have a hundred years of experience or a dozen degrees; if you are not well-connected, you shouldn't even bother applying.

diary said...

Yeah, Aduh, it's a sad reality that's slowly sinking in to me. I'm still hoping the exams/interviews, though probably just a farce, will be conducted. A chance is better than no chance at all.

Mizohican said...

True indeed! Its a sad story my friend. All government jobs are like that - it depends on WHO you know. And even if you make it through merit, it still depends on WHO you know to get a posting in Aizawl or else its some outstation village nobody wants to be posted at.

luliana said...

This is called 'political fitness' :) I know one person, a doctor in fact, who joined the Govt a few years back..Initially, he did get a rural posting, but since he was "politically fit", he got a transfer within 6 months :(

wonderboy said...

Private a thawh te hi a tha zawk lawm mi aw te ka tia!! :D

Jerusha said...

I'm so sick of this it makes me want to barf! Isn't there anything AT ALL, something that can be done!? (And then I remember sadly, not much) Will time help? I don't even have a lot of faith in that anymore.

Shahnaz Kimi said...

Well if this helps, my younger brother took the recent MJS exams and he is perhaps the only one from Mizoram who passed Law in 1st Class, but did not get through the exams!! I was truly surprised that he did not get through, not because he is my younger brother. but there is certainly something wrong there....Just as I say to my brother...""keep your face to the sunshine.....God helps those who helps themselves...." Never ever lose faith.......

diary said...

Thanks guys for your commisseration. I was pretty full of angst in the beginning, but as time is wearing on, and nobody here is flapping an eyelid, the whole issue seems to be becoming more mundane everyday. I guess that's the sad part, that everybody accepts it as a fact of life. Zozam magazine recently did a survey among college kids, >80% said they wouldnt mind getting a job through someone's help. That's the general consensus here :p
@wonderboy..private business is definitely an option, but the govt does give an astronomical pay, along with pensions and other perks that the private sector just does'nt have.
@Shanaz, I can't even imagine how peeved your brother must feel. Justice doesn't prevail even in the Justice dept I guess.
@Jerusha, stick to your job in Google, bet you don't have to pull political strings to keep your job :)